As another great year comes to a close, I want to take this opportunity to publicly commend our teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, support staff and Board of Education for some remarkable accomplishments. And, congratulations to all of our students for a successful ending of the 2012-13 school year! We have so much to be proud of in Stephens County. Our classrooms are stronger than ever and our students are exceeding past performance.
Here are just a few examples:
- Our 2012 graduation rate was 87.33%. This ranked our school system 20th out of Georgia’s 180 school districts in graduation rates, according to the Georgia Department of Education. This rate is significantly above Georgia’s rate of 69.7%. Only 8 school systems in Georgia posted graduation rates above 90%. Stephens County is headed in the right direction!
- Our overall percent passing CRCT remains high, despite changing over to a new curriculum. 98% passed Reading (same as the year before), 97% passed ELA (same as the year before), 95% passed Math (up from 91%), 91% passed Science (up from 88%), and 91% passed SS (up from 89%). The most significant increases were in the percentages exceeding in each of the 5 subject areas.
- All six schools were named REWARD SCHOOLS by the GADOE earlier this year.
- Our first CCRPI scores were high and above state averages.
- We hit the $5,000,000 mark in energy savings this year through our energy management plan. The savings we get through our energy measures can go back into the classroom. Thanks for your efforts to conserve energy. What we are doing is definitely working.
- Stephens County School System received the Innovation in Sustainability Award from the Georgia Chapter of the US Green Building Council.
- SCHS students started out the new school year in a new building. SCHS is the first LEED certified building in Stephens County and one of only a handful of LEED certified high schools in Georgia.
Thank you to our parents for your partnership in the education of your child. I hope your summer break gives you and your student a chance for rejuvenation. Have a safe, restful and enjoyable summer and I look forward to seeing you next year!